Sunday, March 29, 2009

Miscommunication Experience

One experience that I have had in the workplace in which information was miscommunicated happened while I was working as a lifeguard several summers ago. It was about two weeks before the country club pool would open for the summer, and I had spoken with the head lifeguard about coming back to work. I told him that I was definitely interested in working as a lifeguard again, and I asked him to please let me know when he had posted the schedule. When I didn't hear from him, I went to the pool the day after it had opened to see what was going on with the work schedule. Sure enough, the schedule was posted, and I had been scheduled to work the day before. I immediately called the head guard, and I spoke with him about the situation. He apologized and told me that it was no big deal, but I believe that the whole situation could have been avoided if our head lifeguard had made sure that all of the lifeguard staff was aware of the fact that he had made the schedule and that it was posted at the country club. As a result of this miscommunication, schedules were made and posted several weeks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment